Fixing Bugs in Kubernetes Website

So in this week’s open source adventures, I decided to tackle some bugs in the Kubernetes Website GitHub repository. This repository can be accessed here. So before I begin discussing the bug fixes that I made in this repository, I would like to highlight the reason I chose this repository specifically. If you have read one of my previous blog posts titled, “Kubernetes”, you will have already known that I am deeply fascinated in Kubernetes as well as other DevOps platforms. Due to this reason, I decided to tackle some bug fixes in Kubernetes regardless of what bug or what language it is in.

After exploring several repositories in Kubernetes, I noticed a trend of having several bugs that required intermediate to expert knowledge of the software/language in order to fix the bug, including the beginner bugs. I have started learning GO, which is the language used behind majority of Kubernetes architecture, as well as experimenting with the application on my own. What I came to realize is its an ongoing learning experience to which I need to build a foundation before I REALLY start to tackle bugs in the application.

Until that time comes, I decided to tackle simpler bugs such as in their website that can be seen here. The first bug fix that I made was to change some documentation that was necessary since it was causing confusion for other developers. My Pull Request can be accessed here. What the bug basically was is that the documentation previously stated that you would need to use the NodePort value provided by accessing your Service’s details, which is incorrect. As stated by the Dick Murray, a contributor to this repository, the NodePort value does not work in conjunction with your external IP address but instead the Port value does.

So the recommended fix was to change the documentation to reflect this. Below is the change on GitHub.

And below is the change on the actual website.

Onto the second bug fix! So for this bug fix, there was some header text that was hiding behind the main header and was only visible on the Safari browser. Although it could only be seen in the Safari browser, the text could still be searched on all browsers as shown below on Safari.

If you cannot make out the header text clearly from this picture, it can be seen clearer in the screenshot below.

Although it isn’t necessarily bothering anyone, it is still a bug that requires cleaning up. So I first had to pinpoint the exact file that this code exists in, but thankfully this was done for me by Zachary Sarah. So the recommendation by Zachary, was to simply remove this navigation bar since it isn’t useful anyways. I made my Pull Request and it has successfully been merged. The changes can be seen below.

This was a fix that was gladly accepted by the developers in this repository as indicated by Brad Topol.

In conclusion, I am absolutely excited to have finally dipped by toes in the water of Kubernetes after several weeks of my open source adventures. This is definitely only the beginning and I am ecstatic to continue fixing bugs in this repository as well as others that Kubernetes has. Not only is the idea of fixing bugs rewarding, but I finally feel like I am making an impact with my developing compared to the other school projects I’ve done. I am beyond thankful for all the lessons I have obtained from my open source professor David Humphrey, and will not put his teachings to waste! Open Source has thought me to think bigger than ever before and that is something that everyone is seeking in all aspects of life.

Once again I do look forward to many more open source adventures and this is the mark of many more to come! See you in my next adventure!

Software Developer with a passion for Mobile Application Development, Machine Learning, and DevOps.

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store